White walls & pops of color make for a stunning design
Happy Saturday everyone !
Welcome to part # 2 of the wonderful world of color, hope you spent the 4th of July enjoying family and friends
I believe we ended part # 1 talking a little about designing with neutrals
As I mentioned in part 1, creating a room with a neutral color palette is the easiest and most pleasing for most people
A room full of color can be a bit intimidating, and not for everyone, BUT ! if you love color then embrace it, celebrate it, design your world around it !
This blog is dedicated to help everyone find their personal style, the style that best expresses their since of taste and individuality
I believe the quote below say’s it all !
“An Interior is the natural projection of the soul”
So lets talk a little more about designing with neutrals
When designing a room with a neutral color scheme there a few elements you should always incorporate
You never want a room to appear dull or boring, and a neutral color palette can easily become that
This is a perfect example of adding in texture. From the area rug, to the wicker light fixtures this room embraces texture !
Texture can be brought in with the flooring, upholstery fabric, drapery panels, throw pillows, small accessories and the mixing in of metals, wrought irons & rattan materials
Touch of nature
This is a great example of incorporating a touch of nature. When designing a minimal modern room as in the photo above just by the addition of the fig tree in the corner adds a touch of coolness, and brings in nature, which is a natural soothing, calming element and adds just the right amount of contrast without being overwhelming
When designing a neutral palette as above I always recommend incorporating unique lighting fixtures. Again this color palette can get a little dull, so by adding in texture, a touch of nature & interesting lighting fixtures, a neutral room becomes elegant, timeless & sophisticated
Every year the paint companies come out with new (colors of the year)
Above is a forecast of the 2020 interior paint colors
I normally would not recommend using a color trend, but these are just beautiful. They are soft and very pleasing to the eye
Below I found a few photos showcasing these new 2020 colors
How to choose the right color for you ?
- Select colors you like, in the long run you can’t go wrong
- Live with a new color choice in your home for a few days before making a final decision
- Create your design using no more than (3) colors and a neutral. Add in what I call natural elements such as; wood, glass, stone and rattan. This will make for a successful design, and the design process much easier
- If you want to go with a bold paint color on the wall, I would suggest painting one focal wall in the room first, this way you may discover that the one wall is all you need before painting the entire room
- If you want to use a bold fabric or print, better to start with small amounts and layer it into the design
If you have a design question please send me an email, and I will be more than happy to get you an answer
Please join me next Saturday for session # 6 harmony
If you have missed any of the design sessions – please click on the category button to the right